What’s a Goal?
I coach and mentor CEOs to help them grow their revenues, profits, customer satisfaction & employee engagement.
In my coaching role I look at the goals the CEOs set every two weeks. And often I’m astounded at what I see. For starters, it’s no wonder that so many companies set hazy goals. The CEOs are pretty much setting hazy goals too. And to be fair they also set some awesome ones too.
What’s a SMART Goal though?
In my world of business which started with College Pro Painters back in 1986, we had our own version of SMART Goals.
- Shared – Sharing them with a team member, spouse, coach, boss etc. all make goals stick.
- Measurable – There has to be a number. We need to know if you Hit or Missed. Numbers tell us that.
- Attainable – Make them a stretch. But make sure you can hit them.
- Relevant – Why are you even doing it? Will it drive your Monthly or Quarterly Goals?
- Time Based – When in your calendar will you do it? Not when will it be done by. When will you do it?
Recently, I’ve uncovered one test that really takes Measurable to the perfect level. The goal MUST have either a # sign, $ sign, or % sign.
So, what are the TOP 5 Goals you’re committing to this week. Share them with us in the comments. Let’s see if they are SMART.